Zucchini Quinoa Chocolate Chip Muffins
Updated: Nov 2, 2021
These aren’t just any old muffins! I’ve done a few things to bump up the nutritional value to set them apart from other muffin recipes. Here’s what makes these muffins better for your health and for your waistline:
I used cooked quinoa! This increases the muffin’s protein power and adds complex carbs to keep you energized and full.
I took out the refined flours and used almond flour. This also increases the protein of each muffin and adds complex carbs. It also makes these muffins 100% gluten free!
I used a small amount of wholesome sweeteners – ZERO refined sugars! This is super important when it comes to avoiding weight gain and sustaining your super power energy levels.
I used a full cup of shredded zucchini. This is excellent fiber!
I used mini chocolate chips sweetened with stevia rather than refined sugar. This means that the total sugar count for each muffin is tiny, while the enjoyment factor is through the roof!
I used mini muffin tins. This is one of the BEST ways to control portion sizes! So you get to enjoy a delicious morsel without taking in too many calories.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
What you need Servings: 24
½ cup cooked quinoa 1 cup blanched almond flour 1½ teaspoons baking soda ½ teaspoon sea salt 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon pinch of nutmeg 3 eggs 3 Tablespoons raw honey, melted 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 banana, mashed 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted 1 cup zucchini, shredded and drained ¼ cup lily’s mini chocolate chips (stevia-sweetened)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and generously grease a mini muffin tin with coconut oil.
2. Combine the quinoa, almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Combine the eggs, honey, vanilla, banana and oil in another bowl. Mix well and add the dry ingredients. Mix until fully combined.
4. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
5. Pour 1 Tablespoon of batter into 24 mini muffin tins.
6. Bake for 18 minutes or until golden and set.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
8. Transfer out of muffin pan and cool on wire rack. Enjoy!
Nutrition One mini muffin equals: 56 calories, 2g fat, 7g carbohydrate, 127mg sodium, 2g sugar, 1g fiber, and 1g protein.